We support health equity for all Americans.
(English / Spanish)
February 12, 2014
In This Issue:
- HHS/Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA): NURSE Corps Loan Repayment Program. Applicant must be a licensed registered nurse (nurse practitioners and other advanced practice nurses are encouraged to apply) or nurse faculty, have completed your training (diploma, associate, baccalaureate or graduate), and be employed full time (at least 32 hours per week) at an eligible critical shortage facility. Deadline is February 27, 2014. Learn more.
Non Federal Grants
- Kansas Health Foundation: Request for proposals. Healthy Living Grants. This program is designed to fund organizations and initiatives supporting the implementation of policies, systems or environmental interventions in the areas of healthy eating, active living and tobacco use prevention. Eligible applicants are nonprofit and government organizations. Letters of intent deadline is February 25, 2014. Learn more.
- The Sunflower Foundation: Request for proposals. Building Capacity/Growing Impact. Grants awarded under this program are intended for nonprofit organizations providing health care and prevention services to low income and uninsured populations and other vulnerable populations in Kansas. Deadline is February 27, 2014, 5:00 pm CT. Learn more.
- Prevention Institute: Accepting applications for Graduate Interns for the summer of 2014. This internship program is for continuing graduate students (masters or doctoral) in public health, social work, public policy, urban planning, and related fields. Application deadline is February 16, 2014. Learn more.
- NIH/National Cancer Institute (NCI): Accepting applications for the Health Communications Internship Program (HCIP). The HCIP gives highly qualified graduate students and recent graduates the opportunity to participate in vital health and science communications projects in one of the many offices that make up the NCI. Deadline is March 4, 2014. Learn more.
Scholarships / Fellowships
- Amgen Foundation in partnership with the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) and the University of Cambridge: Amgen Scholars. This international program provides undergraduate students with the opportunity to engage in a hands-on summer research experience at US and European research universities. Early registration deadline is February 17, 2014. Learn more.
- Harvard Medical School: Global Clinical Scholars Research Training Program. This program provides clinicians and clinician-scientists a strong foundation in the methods and conduct of clinical research. It is designed for clinicians working in clinical research at the faculty level (or equivalent). Learn more.
- HHS/Family and Youth Services Bureau, the CDC's Division of Adolescent and School Health and Division of Reproductive Health, and the Office of Adolescent Health: Call for abstracts for the 2014 HHS Teen Pregnancy Prevention Grantee Conference. Bridging the Gaps: Eliminating Disparities in Teen Pregnancy and Sexual Health. Deadline is February 16, 2014, 11:59 pm ET. Submit.
Affordable Care Act (ACA)
- HHS/Center for Faith-Based and Neighborhood Partnerships: Webinar. Questions and Answers on the Health Care Law. February 20, 2014, 1:00 pm - 2:00 pm ET. Register.
- HHS and the White House Initiatives on Educational Excellence: Webinar. Young, Healthy ...Uninsured? This webinar will inform you about opportunities for enrollment in the Health Insurance Marketplace and how you can be part of the White House Initiative on Healthy Engaged Youth (HEY!). Register.
African American Health
- The White House Initiative on Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCU): Call for abstracts for the 2014 Compendium of US Government Sponsored Research and Programs at Historically Black Colleges and Universities. To be eligible, the author must be a principal investigator or co-principal investigators of a federally funded project awarded to an HBCU. Submit an abstract no longer than 500 words and a brief biographical sketch of the primary author to Dr. Ivory A. Toldson. Deadline is March 1, 2014.
American Indian & Native Alaskan Health
- We R Native: Monthly Contest. We Love We R Native. Submit a photo or video of what you love for a chance to win We R Native gear and other prizes. This contest is open to American Indian, Alaska Native, and Native Hawai'an youth 13-21 years old. Deadline is February 20, 2014. Learn more.
- Breast Cancer Action: Webinar. The Ecology of Breast Cancer with Ted Schettler, MD, MPH. Dr. Schettler will examine the breast cancer epidemic through an eco-social framework, recognizing the ways that family, community, and societal experiences shape the health of individuals and populations. February 19, 2014, 1:00 pm - 2:00 pm ET. Register.
- Department of Homeland Security/Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA): Applications now being accepted for the Youth Preparedness Council. Application open to youths between the ages of 12 and 17 who are engaged in individual and community preparedness or who have experienced a disaster that has motivated them to make a positive difference their community. Deadline is February 24, 2014, 11:59 pm ET. Apply.
- The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) recognizes February 11 as the 20th anniversary of President Clinton's signing of Executive Order 12898, "Federal Actions to Address Environmental Justice in Minority Populations and Low-Income Populations." EPA Administrator Gina McCarthy has declared February as Environmental Justice Month, highlighting the country's progress while also launching a yearlong effort to focus environmental justice leadership. For more information on how EPA and others are celebrating, visit Celebrating 20 Years of Making a Visible Difference in Communities.
- Maryland Department of Health and Mental Hygiene (DHMH)/Office of Minority Health and Health Disparities (MHHD): New reports. Maryland Health Equity Data, 2009-2013. View and search reports by year, minority group, health disparity, or jurisdiction. Read full reports.
- International Symposium on Minority Health and Health Disparities (ISMHHD): Call for abstracts for ISMHHD 2014. Transdisciplinary Collaborations: Evolving Dimensions of US and Global Health Equity. Abstract submission dates are February 18-June 2, 2014. Submit.
- Florida Department of Health in Volusia County, in partnership with Bethune-Cookman University, Odessa Chambliss Center for Health Equity: Registration now open for the 2014 Health Equity Summit in Daytona Beach, FL. Featuring minority health experts, power networking, privilege walk exercise, and cultural art. Register.
- University of Maryland, School of Public Health/Maryland Center for Health Equity (M-CHE): Public forum. Public Forum on Race, Health and the Arts. To register for this forum, please contact Ms. Cathy Pickles with the subject line RSVP Public Forum. February 17, 2014, 7:00 - 9:00 pm ET in College Park, MD. Learn more.
- Project Equality: Registration now open for the 2014 Diversity and Inclusion Summit. This summit brings together leaders in the health, civic, educational, financial, governmental, and legal communities to discuss the current status and future of equality and access for all. February 28, 2014, 8:30 am - 3:00 CT in Kansas City, MO. Register.
- HHS recognizes February as American Heart Month. For sample announcements and tweets, E-cards, web badges, and other resources, please view healthfinder.gov's American Heart Month Toolkit.
- Association of Black Cardiologists, in partnership with WomenHeart: The National Coalition for Women with Heart Disease and the American College of Cardiology's CardioSource: New resource. Women and Heart Disease: A Patient Resource Guide. This workbook is designed to provide you and your loved ones with educational resources and support as you learn about cardiovascular disease and the impact it has on overall health. View full workbook.
- Delmarva Foundation for Medical Care, in partnership with the Maryland Department of Health and Mental Hygiene and Quality Improvement Organizations: Registration now open for the 2014 Maryland Million Hearts Symposium. The Symposium will raise awareness about the Million Hearts Initiative, which aims to prevent 1 million heart attacks and strokes in the United States by 2017. February 19, 2014, 8:00 am - 4:30 pm ET in Linthicum Heights, MD. Register.
- National Council of La Raza (NCLR): Registration now open for the NCLR Annual Conference in Los Angeles, CA. Register.
- National Hispanic Medical Association (NHMA) in partnership with the Office of Minority Health (OMH) and the National Hispanic Health Foundation: Registration now open for NHMA's 18th Annual Conference. Affordable Care Act & Best Practices for Hispanics. Event to be held in Washington, DC. Deadline is March 7, 2014. Register.
Maternal & Child Health
- CDC, the Maternal and Child Health Bureau (MCHB), and CityMatCH: Registration now open for a training course in Maternal/Child Health (MCH) Epidemiology. This course is being offered as an ongoing effort to enhance the analytic capacity of state and local health agencies. Deadline is February 28, 2014, 5:00 pm PT. Register.
- HRSA and the Region VIII Federal Partners: Improving the Mental and Emotional Well-Being of Communities through the National Prevention Strategy 2014 Webinar Series. Community and Historical Trauma: Surviving and Recovering. This webinar will provide a framework for understanding community and historical trauma, and key strategies for survival and recovery. The webinar will highlight American Indians, refugees, and those individuals and communities that have been impacted by community violence. February 20, 2:00 pm - 3:30 pm MT. Learn more.
- American Public Health Association (APHA) Vision Care Section: Call for abstracts for the 142nd APHA Annual Meeting and Exposition. Healthography: How Where You Live Affects Your Health and Well-being. The Vision Care Section invites presentations of original research on public health issues pertaining to vision and eye care. Submissions from all disciplines are welcome, and interdisciplinary work and student abstracts are highly encouraged. Deadline is February 16, 2014. Submit.
- Rural Assistance Center and NORC Walsh Center for Rural Health Analysis: Webinar. Care Coordination in Rural Communities. This webinar will feature two examples of successful care coordination programs funded by the Federal Office of Rural Health Policy (ORHP), including lessons learned. February 13, 2014, 1:00 pm - 2:00 pm ET. Register.
Smoking and Tobacco Use
- HHS/Food and Drug Administration (FDA): New national public education campaign. The Real Cost. This campaign was developed to educate youth about the dangers of tobacco use and to encourage them to be tobacco-free. It uses several social media platforms to create space for teens to engage in peer-to-peer conversations about the issue. Learn more.
- Department of Education/Office for Civil Rights is recruiting for a full-time, permanent Enforcement Director (ES-0905-00 or ES-0360-00) position in Washington, DC. Deadline is February 18, 2014. Apply.
- Department of Education/Office of Postsecondary Education is recruiting for a full-time, permanent Deputy Assistant Secretary for Policy, Planning and Innovation (ES-0340-00) position in Washington, DC. Deadline is March 2, 2014. Apply.
- The University of Nevada Las Vegas is recruiting for a new Dean of the School of Community Health Sciences in Las Vegas, NV. For a complete position description and application details, please visit UNLV Employment.
@ The Knowledge Center - Recommended Reading
- The Immigrant Paradox in Children and Adolescents by Cynthia Garcia Coll (Author, Editor) and Amy Kerivan Marks (Editor) explores the question Is Becoming American a Developmental Risk? This book examines the effects of assimilation among immigrants, particularly children, and how acculturation impacts psychological and academic development. Search our catalog.
You will need Adobe Acrobat® Reader™ to view PDF files located on this site. If you do not already have Adobe Acrobat® Reader™, you can download here for free.
You will need Real Player to view files located on this site. If you do not already have Real Player, you can download here.
Last Modified: 02/12/2014 02:10:00 PM