Grant Program: State Partnership Grant Program to Improve Minority Health, FY 2005-2009
Organization Name: Office of Minority Health
Organization Address: 3811 W. Charleston Blvd. Ste 205 Las Vegas, NV 89102
Phone Number: (702) 486-7280
Fax Number: (702) 486-7281
Title of Project: State of Nevada Office of Minority Health
Project Director: June L. Coleman, M.P.H., Dr. P.H.
Description of organization:
The Nevada State Legislature created the Office of Minority Health with passage of assembly bill 580 during the 2005 legislative session. Included in the bill was the creation of an Advisory Committee, composed of nine members reflecting the ethnic and geographical diversity of the state. The mission of the Office of Minority Health is to improve the quality of health care services for members of minority groups; to increase access to health care services and; to seek ways to provide education, address, treat and prevent diseases and conditions that are prevalent among minority populations.
Description of project:
The Office of Minority Health has established a minority health agenda to address reducing health disparities as they relate to the Healthy People 2010 objectives, which includes, but is not limited to:
- Developing strategies that will increase the awareness level of the states minorities of modifiable risk factors and the need for behavior change to create a healthy lifestyle,
- Developing, supporting and implementing cultural competency training programs for health care providers,
- Providing capacity building assistance to community- and faith-based organizations to create and maintain health-focused programs,
- Developing, supporting and implementing programs aimed at increasing the number of minorities entering health care professions, such as medical schools and schools of public health and
- Developing health disparities alliances with outside entities to address health disparities in Nevada.