Table Of Contents
This report summarizes the first meeting of the Advisory Group for the Partnership for Healthy School Food and Environment Action Learning Collaborative. The meeting was held in Chicago, Illinois, April 6-7, 2011, and was attended by 22 nationally recognized experts and key stakeholders with a track record of work on the issue of school food, fitness and environment.
The goals of the initial meeting of the Action Learning Collaborative:
- Educate participants on health and education disparities, the connection between health and learning and the USDA's HealthierUS School Challenge.
- Present case studies of promising practices and partnerships to address childhood obesity in the school setting, and implement the HealthierUS School Challenge.
- Explore issues of program replication and scalability.
- Identify areas for additional research and study, and determine the group's process/needs for meeting the overall goal of the ALC and deliverables.
- Discuss policy areas the ALC will focus on for its research and recommendations.
- Discuss the small grants program and process/parameters for creating and implementing an RFP process.
- Establish a timeline and process for fulfilling the ALC's goals and deliverables.
This initial meeting took place in the context of Heroes for Healthy Schools Week, a series of events to recognize National Minority Health Month, April 2011, that were the result of a partnership of Healthy Schools Campaign , Chicago Public Schools and the Office of Minority Health, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.