We support health equity for all Americans.
FYI: Weekly Health Resources - January 22, 2014
January, 22 2014
- HHS/Health Resources & Services Administration (HRSA): Supporting Healthy Start Performance Project (SHSPP) Grant. Deadline is March 3, 2014. Learn more.
- HHS/Substance Abuse & Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA): Planning and Developing Infrastructure to Improve the Mental Health and Wellness of Children, Youth and Families in American Indian/Alaska Natives (AI/AN) Communities (Short Title: Circles of Care VI) Grant. Learn more.
Non Federal Grants
- American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP): Community Access to Child Health (CATCH) Grant. CATCH supports pediatricians to collaborate within their communities so that under-served children have access to needed health services. Deadline is January 31, 2014. Learn more .
- AstraZeneca Healthcare Foundation: Connections for Cardiovascular Health (CCH) Grant. This program provides annual grants to US-based nonprofit organizations engaged in charitable work at the community level. Deadline is February 27, 2014. Learn more .
- NIH/National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases (NIDDK). Short-Term Research Experience for Underrepresented Persons (STEP-UP) Internship. Application deadline is February 15, 2014. Learn more.
- NIH/National Cancer Institute (NCI): Health Communications Internship Program (HCIP). The HCIP gives highly qualified graduate students and recent graduates the opportunity to participate in vital health and science communications projects in one of the many offices that make up the NCI. Deadline is March 4, 2014. Learn more.
- ETR: Kirby Summer Internship. Open to all graduate students in psychology, public health, epidemiology or a related field with a focus or interest in sexual and reproductive health. Deadline is January 31, 2014. Learn more .
Scholarships / Fellowships
- The Kennedy Krieger Institute (KKI) and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC): James A. Ferguson Emerging Infectious Diseases Fellowship Program. Deadline is January 31, 2014. Learn more .
- The Kennedy Krieger Institute (KKI), Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCU), and California State University – Los Angeles (CSU–LA): Public health Leadership and Learning Undergraduate Student Success (PLLUSS) Program. The PLLUSS Program is a public health leadership and research program for undergraduate sophomore and junior students minoring or majoring in public health. Deadline is January 31, 2014. Learn more .
- Massachusetts General Hospital/Disparities Solutions Center: Disparities Leadership Program (DLP). The DLP is a year-long, hands-on executive education program focused on helping health care leaders achieve equity in quality. The program is designed to help translate the latest understanding of the problem of disparities into realistic solutions within organizations. Deadline is February 14, 2014. Learn more .
- National Association of County and City Health Officials (NACCHO): Health and Disability Project Fellowship in Washington, DC. Learn more .
- The Migrant Students Foundation: The National Cesar E. Chavez Blood Drive Challenge. Blood drive Student Organizers have an opportunity to qualify for a scholarship. Only one student per college campus will be selected as the Student Organizer. To find out if your college campus is still available, email: Support@MigrantStudents.org. Learn more .
American Indian/Alaska Native Health
- Pathways Into Health: Registration now open for the 7th National Pathways Into Health Conference. Achieving Excellence, Harmony and Balance: Enhancing Cultural Attunement Across Health Professions through Education and Career Development. Event to be held March 11-13, 2014 in Albuquerque, NM. Registration deadline is March 1, 2014. Learn more .
Asian American and Pacific Islander Health
- The White House Initiative on Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders (WHIAAPI): To help provide information on the Affordable Care Act (ACA) and the Health Insurance Marketplace to limited English proficiency communities, WHIAAPI is hosting a series of online Google+ Hangouts in AAPI languages. The next Hangout will be in Mandarin Chinese. January 23, 2014, 3:00 pm - 4:00 pm ET. Learn more.
- HHS and The National Cervical Cancer Coalition (NCCC) recognize January as Cervical Health Awareness Month. HHS has created a toolkit to help your organization raise awareness about how women can protect themselves from HPV (human papillomavirus) and cervical cancer. Learn more.
- National Cancer Institute (NCI) and Consortium of Universities for Global Health's (CUGH): Call for Abstracts for the NCI Symposium on Global Cancer Research, held in conjunction with CUGH's 5th Annual Global Health Conference. Event to be held May 9, 2014 in Washington DC. Submission deadline is February 7, 2014. Learn more.
- CDC: Solicitation for nominations for possible membership on the Advisory Committee on Breast Cancer in Young Women (ACBCYW). The Committee provides advice and guidance regarding formative research, development, implementation and evaluation of evidence-based activities designed to prevent breast cancer and promote early detection. Nominations deadline is February 25, 2014. Learn more.
- CancerCare: Three-part online Connect Education Workshop. Comprehensive Series on Supportive Care. This is a free series for people living with cancer, their families, friends and health care professionals. Part I (Advances in Treating Chemotherapy-Related Nausea and Vomiting) to be held January 24, 2014, 1:30 pm - 2:30 pm ET. Register .
- CancerCare: Six-part online Connect Education Workshop. Living with Myeloproliferative Neoplasms (MPN). This is a free series for people living with cancer, their families, friends and health care professionals. Part I (Having Your Voice Heard: Taking an Active Role in Your Care to Manage Your MPN More Effectively) to be held January 29, 2014, 1:30 pm - 2:30 pm ET. Register .
- Joint Center for Political and Economic Studies: New report. PLACE MATTERS for Health in Jefferson County, Alabama: The Status of Health Equity on the 50th Anniversary of the Civil Rights Movement in Birmingham, Alabama. This report provides a comprehensive analysis of the range of social, economic, and environmental conditions in Jefferson County and documents their relationship to the health status of the county's residents. Read full report .
- National Council for Behavioral Health: Webinar. Transitioning to ICD-10: Why It's Important to Behavioral Health Care Providers and How to Prepare. The 10th edition of the International Statistical Classification of Diseases and Related Health Problems (ICD) will modify diagnosis and inpatient procedure coding for everyone covered by the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA). All behavioral health providers must make this transition by October 1, 2014. Webinar to be held January 24, 2014, 12:00 pm - 1:30 pm ET. Register .
- KidsWell: New report. Helping Consumers Enroll in Health Coverage: A State-by-State Analysis of Consumer Assistance Organizations and Funding. Read full report .
- American Heart Association: Call for abstracts for the Arteriosclerosis, Thrombosis and Vascular Biology (ATVB) 2014 Scientific Sessions. Session to be held May 1-3, 2014 in Toronto, Ontario. Abstract deadline is January 24, 2014, 5:00 pm CT. Submit abstract.
- The CDC recognizes February 7, 2014 as the 14th anniversary of National Black HIV/AIDS Awareness Day (NBHAAD). For a toolkit which includes fact sheets, sample letters, PSAs, and other resources, please visit the NBHAAD website.
Maternal & Child Health
- Administration for Children and Families (ACF)/Office of Planning, Research & Evaluation (OPRE): First Annual Report. The Mother and Infant Home Visiting Program Evaluation-Strong Start (MIHOPE-SS). This report examines the effects of the Healthy Families America (HFA) and Nurse-Family Partnership (NFP) home visiting programs on birth outcomes and maternal and infant health and health care. Read the full report | PDF (2.03 MB).
- NIH: Seminar on Health Disparities in Boys and Men: Increasing Knowledge to Build Strategies for Health Equity. This seminar highlights current perspectives and updates on research innovations and translational opportunities to impact the health of boys and men at risk for disproportionate health outcomes. January 23, 2014, 1:00 pm - 3:00 pm at the NIH Natcher Conference Center in Bethesda, MD. A live webinar will be available on the date of the event via the NIH VideoCasting and Podcasting site.
- National Rural Health Association (NRHA): Registration open for the 25th annual Rural Health Policy Institute. Event to be held February 4-6, 2014 in Washington, DC. Application deadline is February 3, 2014. Learn more .
- Minnesota Department of Health – Office of Rural Health and Primary Care, the Minnesota Rural Health Association, and the National Rural Health Resource Center: Call for Proposals for the 2014 Minnesota Rural Health Conference, Weaving the Threads of Rural Health. Conference to be held June 23-24, 2014 in Duluth, MN. Submission deadline is February 7, 2014. Learn more .
Sickle Cell Disease
- Food and Drug Administration (FDA)/Center for Drug Evaluation and Research: Public meeting. Sickle Cell Disease Patient-Focused Drug Development. The purpose of this meeting is to hear patient perspectives on the health effects and the treatment of sickle cell disease. Event to be held February 7, 2014, 10:00 am - 4:00 pm ET in Silver Spring, MD. Registration deadline is January 27, 2014. Register.
- Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)/Office of Public Affairs, Press and Congressional Affairs Office, Region 9 is recruiting for a full-time, permanent Spanish speaking Press Officer – Public Affairs Specialist (GS-1035-12) position in San Francisco, CA. Deadline is January 27, 2014. Apply.
State / Local Government
- Washington State Department of Health/Division of Health Systems Quality Assurance, Office of Customer Service, Credentialing Unit is recruiting for 4 Health Services Consultant 2 – Lead Worker positions in Tumwater, WA. Deadline is January 29, 2014. Apply .
- Washington State Department of Health/Division of Health Systems Quality Assurance, Office of Health Professions and Facilities, Prescription Monitoring Program is recruiting for a full-time Health Services Consultant 3 – Prescription Monitoring Program Operations Manager (DOH2238) position in Tumwater, WA. Apply .
- Washington State Department of Health/Division of Health Systems Quality Assurance (HSQA), Office of Investigation and Inspection is recruiting for a Public Health Advisor 3 (DOH2215) position in Spokane, WA. This recruitment is open until filled. Apply .
Community-Based Organizations / Non-Profits
- Global Health Action (GHA) is recruiting for a full-time Associate Director (AD) position in Atlanta, GA. GHA works to improve the health and well-being of individuals and communities in under-served parts of the world through community-based health programs and livelihood opportunities. Apply .
- The International Rescue Committee (IRC)'s Community Interpreter Program is recruiting for a part-time Female Dari Interpreter position in Silver Spring, MD. Pashto and/or Urdu fluency is a plus. Completion of Cross-Cultural Communications (CCC)'s Community Interpreter training program is strongly preferred, but IRC are accepting applications from interpreters with less or no training. Any interested parties should send a resume and brief statement of interest and experience to Hannah Stocks.
@ The Knowledge Center - Recommended Reading
- Handbook of Multicultural Mental Health: Assessment and Treatment of Diverse Populations, 2nd edition, edited by Freddy A. Paniagua and Ann-Marie Yamada. This handbook in its second edition examines methods of delivering culturally appropriate mental health services to diverse populations. Search our catalog.
You will need Adobe Acrobat® Reader™ to view PDF files located on this site. If you do not already have Adobe Acrobat® Reader™, you can download here for free.
Content Last Modified: 1/22/2014 12:07:00 PM